Thursday, November 02, 2006

Missing DC








I moved to Brooklyn in the summer of 2005 from Washington DC. I came here partly to go back to school, partly to follow love and partly as a way to change my life. I loved DC for many years, but it made me feel stuck. So here I am in New York - I love the city, but do miss bits and pieces of the DC life from time to time. Today I am missing Ben's Chili Bowl - it's 11:30 on a Thursday morning and my mouth is watering for their vegetarian chili cheese fries - I usually hate that greasy, messy kind of chaotic food but there is just something so incredibly addictive about this restaurant. Ben's is considered a Washington landmark - a restaurant built on U Street in the late 50's in the building of an old silent movie theater. It's one of the only businesses to survive the 1968 riots that followed the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and you can tell the DC community appreciates and recognizes its history.

Just look at that plastic dish of salty non-meaty gooey goodness. Delicious, I say, delicious.

No comments: